The Department of Criminal Justice Training recognizes that one of the tougher challenges facing family and agencies comes after an end-of-watch event. To that end, a liaison exists to help families and agencies navigate the process of filing claims for benefits.
CHECKLIST FOR FILING A CLAIM:
- Certified marriage license, if applicable.
- Certified divorce decree, if applicable.
- Certified birth certificate or adoption papers for children, if applicable.
- Certified death certificate.
- Uniform offense report.
- Report of incident by investigating agency.
- Autopsy report, if performed.
- Toxicology report, if performed.
ADDRESS TO SUBMIT COMPLETED CLAIMS:
Justice and Public Safety Cabinet
Death Claims Administrator
C/O Leah Boggs, Office of Legal Services
125 Holmes Street, 2nd Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
KRS 164.2841 provides free tuition at state-supported schools for survivors of a law enforcement officer, firefighter or volunteer firefighter killed in the line-of-duty.
CHECKLIST FOR STATE EDUCATION BENEFITS:
- Certified marriage license or documented evidence, if applicable.
- Certified divorce decree or other documented evidence, if applicable.
- Certified birth certificate or adoption papers for children or other documented evidence, if applicable.
- Parents or spouse’s service and cause of death certification from the Kentucky Justice and Public Safety Cabinet.
- Documentation from the governing body or law enforcement agency that employed the deceased.